Latest Posts

Richard’s Radio Adventures 005 Show Notes

Introduction: Richard, KB5JBV, discusses some training he prepared for emergency communications. But first, he raises the possibility of resurrecting Resonant Frequency, The Amateur Radio Podcast, with your financial support. Topics: Making yourself clear and understood on an emergency communications net. Some tips: Send your callsigns slowly and clearly. Use the ITU phonetic alphabet. Don’t yell…

Read More+

RRA Episode 5: Make Yourself Clear

This time on RRA I did a piece of training on the local ARES net and I figured I would share it with you. It is a basic introduction on making yourself clear and understood on an emcomm net. Pretty simple stuff but you would be surprised how many folks forget the simple stuff. It…

Read More+

LHS Episode #074: The Great Hobo Migration

2012 is rolling along nicely and Linux in the Ham Shack is rolling along with it, bringing you new ways to use your computer with amateur radio, and sometimes just technology for fun (and maybe profit). This time around, the guys break into politics — just slightly — and get a few grievances of their […]

LHS Episode #073: Advanced Networking Topics

Today the guys delve deep into their geek pockets and come up with a couple of fairly advanced networking topics. One is ham radio related, the other is everything related. Don’t be scared off, however, as the discussion is a 10,000-foot overview of these technologies and how they will be important in YOUR future. Russ […]

LHS Episode #072: We Need Cache

Welcome to another fine and dandy episode of Linux in the Ham Shack. The end of 2011 and the beginning of 2012 have been very busy for your stalwart co-hosts, but we press on. Shows are being recorded, content is being disseminated and our listeners are being educated–sort of. We hope everyone has had a […]

Richard’s Radio Adventures 004 Show Notes

Introduction: Richard, KB5JBV, again recording mobile. Topics: Richard talks about minimizing his amateur radio station. It’s amazing how much radio stuff you accumulate over the years. He’ll keep his WinLink gateway going. He’s planning on installing a mobile HF station in his truck. Previously, he’s used a large magnet-mount antenna, Icom ID-800 D-Star capable radio,…

Read More+

Making yourself clear on the Radio

A few days ago I was putting together a piece of training for our local A.R.E.S. Group and it dawned on me that I should share it with everybody. So after I finished the net I took a little time to flesh out that training and what I ended up with was this article. You…

Read More+

RRA Episode 4: New Game, New Rules.

Well living in a HOA neighborhood will be challenging but not impossible.

Intro music by Magic Slim and the Teardrops.
Share and Enjoy:

LHS Episode #071: Nudge, Nudge

In Linux in the Ham Shack’s sexiest episode ever, the guys take on some sensuous applications from the Python world. Dan, KK7DS, has been writing cross-platform software for D-STAR and rig programming for some time. Richard and Russ take on a couple of his more prominent works: d-rats and chirp. On the purely Linux and […]

LHS Episode #070: The Stroke

Welcome to another installment of Linux in the Ham Shack. In this episode, our mostly unprepared hosts discuss a couple of interesting topics. Yes, really, they are interesting. In the Ham Geeky™ section, Richard plows the fertile fields of contest loggers for Linux, as well as cross-platform solutions, including running your own favorites under WINE. […]